Project: Frenchmans Bay Landfill Remediation, Randwick City Council Coastal Walkway Upgrade
Client: Statewide Civil Pty Ltd
Situation: Randwick City Council contracted Statewide Civil to undertake remediation works on the Frenchmans Bay landfill site at La Perouse to the standard for “open space use” for the extension of the coastal walkway.
Geo-Logix was brought on to perform the environmental validation of the remediation works. The remediation involved contouring and landscaping the site for stability and aesthetics; constructing a landfill cap, and constructing the walkway.
Additionally, Lot 29, a parcel of land within the landfill footprint, was to be returned to the Local Aboriginal Land Council and needed remediation and validation to residential standards.
Action: Geo-Logix’s involvement in the project included:
- Reviewing historical reports to determine whether sufficient assessment was undertaken to conclude that landfill gas and leachate presented no environmental or public health concerns
- Systematic sampling and analysis* of excavation soils from Lot 29 (for contaminants of potential concern) for relocation into the main landfill footprint
- Inspecting, sampling and analysing fill sources to certify their suitability for importing and for constructing the landfill capping layer
- Undertaking site inspections to certify that the contouring and capping layer were being constructed according to design specifications
- Preparing waste certificates for imported fill and exported wastes
- Providing final authorisation and preparing the Landfill Remediation Validation Report and Remediation Validation Report for Lot 29
*Statistical analysis and validation was undertaken in accordance with NSW EPA Sampling Design Guidelines (1995).
Result: The old landfill site at Frenchmans Bay, La Perouse, has been successfully remediated and now forms part of the Eastern Beaches Coastal Walkway providing spectacular coastal views to walkers all year round.
“Geo-Logix are technically competent professionals who are always willing to work with the clients to provide environmental solutions. Their common sense and logical approach to environmental problems is to be highly commended.”